Posted on October 30 2017
It’s the countdown to Halloween, one of my favorite holidays, and creepy things are brewing in my kitchen. What’s on the dessert menu? Witch finger cookies! You’d be surprised on how horribly easy and delicious these are.
Made out of a vegan sugar cookie recipe, I simply form the cookies into tapered fingers. A sliced almond is added on one end for a fingernail. Strawberry or any other red colored jam can be used to attach the almond slices.
Vegan Sugar Cookie Recipe:
2 cups All Purpose Flour
3/4 cup Sugar
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 cup Vegan Butter
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/4 tsp Almond Extract
2 Tbsp Almond Milk
1. Cream the vegan butter and sugar together, then add the vanilla and almond extracts.
2. Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the baking soda and salt.
3. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix in by hand until crumbly. Add almond milk and mix in to create a big ball of dough. You may need more almond milk if mix is too dry.
4. Cover and refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.
To make the fingers:
1. Dough should be cold but soft enough to work with. Take a bit of dough and roll into a 1” ball. Roll the dough into a tapered log about 3-4” long.
2. Shape the log into fingers by pinching in two places to form the knuckles. Press the top of the tapered end with your finger and gently press a sliced almond. We will bake the cookies with the almond and then remove it to add the “blood”.
3. Score the knuckles with a knife and add additional cuts on the surface for a more realistic look.
4. Place in a tray and chill in freezer for at least 1 hour or overnight.
5. Do not thaw. Place cookies on greased baking sheet and bake in the oven at 325ºF for 20 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes after baking.
6. Take off the sliced almond (it will take off easily) and add a small dollop of jam. Just enough so that the almond can adhere back onto the cookie.
7. If desired, brush some cocoa powder on the knuckles.